Monday, 29 April 2013

Chemo brain, frozen fingers, and fatigue

It's been two weeks since chemo number two and I'm feeling good, but it's been a busy two weeks, hence the long wait for a new post.

My sister and 12 week old nephew were my chemo buddies this time around, and, apart from the fact that my chemo brain was in full swing and I apparently kept repeating myself, which my sister was too embarrassed to point out, we had a lovely day. I seemed to react differently to the chemo this time though.

The frozen gloves that I wore, without a problem, last time were extremely cold and painful this time. My left pinkie and ring finger felt like cement and were absolutely throbbing and frozen so I ended up taking the gloves off, and now the tip of my pinkie is still numb.

The other big difference was that I got tired, really really tired, before I even finished receiving the chemo. Afterwards we went back to my sisters place and I could hardly keep my eyes open. The next three days I was so tired I could hardly function. The worst day was the saturday, two days after chemo. It was raining and absolutely freezing. No matter what I wore I couldn't get warm. At one point I had on a long sleeve top, a jumper, my husbands warmest hoodie (with the hood on), a beanie, and a scarf, and I was still cold. And as much as i tried, I just couldn't get warm or stay awake. The following day was my nieces third birthday party and, luckily enough, I was feeling a bit better so little birdie, my husband, and I went. There was an adorable petting zoo and little birdie absolutely loved seeing all the animals. All she talked about for the next few days was watching her cousin feeding the baby lamb with a bottle. Although I was feeling better than I had been, I was still feeling off. I was in a bit of a daze and felt like I was in a bubble, separate from everyone else. It was the first time I've been in a big group of people i know since losing my hair which I think added to this feeling, even though I was wearing my favourite scarf and fringe.

I've had a few other small side effects this time. I've had some pimples like last time, mainly on my scalp (a balding scalp plus pimples, how attractive) but not anywhere near as bad as they were before. I'm still trying to get my stomach sorted but unfortunately I'm either constipated or the total opposite, neither if which are fun, but I haven't had any nausea or vomiting so I'm happy. Also, I did start to get a bit of a sore on my tongue a few days ago, but luckily it reminded me that I have to wash my mouth out after every meal (which I'd kind of forgotten since my last treatment) and it has disappeared. My hair has continued to fall out, in much smaller pieces since shaving my head, and this afternoon I noticed that a clump of my eyelashes have fallen out. I'm hoping its just a coincidence and not a sign that the rest will fall out too, but I'll just have to wait and see.

Little birdie has been adorable as usual, but a but cheeky lately which has been tiring. On the other hand, she has been especially good when it comes to going to bed at night and nap time, and even asked to go to sleep before her nap the other day, so I'm not complaining.

Right now I'm looking forward to the next week. We are catching up with friends this weekend and hopefully I'll be doing the same next week until chemo on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment